Sunday, July 14, 2019

Drug addiction is not a disease...

Me: Drug addiction is not a disease.

Fred: Yes it is. I know. I am a recovered addict.

Me: It is not a disease. It is a choice you made when you made the choice to take the drug. A disease is caused by a bacteria, a virus, or a cancer or a physiological naturally occurring event in a body. Addiction is NOT.

Fred: You are wrong and the whole medical community says you are wrong.

Me: I don't care who says I am wrong. I am not.

Fred: Then how do you explain it to them?

Me: The way I explained it to you.

Fred: Addiction is a disease. Talk to any doctor and he will tell you.

Me: If a million doctors tell you there is no God are you going to believe them?

Fred: Let's just agree to disagree.

Me. Fine.

In my opinion, calling drug addiction a disease is only enabling the addicted to excuse his behavior.

It is not a disease. It is a consequence. BIG difference.

A disease can kill if you don't take drugs to get rid of it or ease the discomfort.. An addiction kills if you continue to take drugs that ease the discomfort of taking them in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!