Saturday, April 27, 2019

Here's to the Farmer!

Hello, World!

Thursday was a big day for me. It is the day that I go to Texarkana and get free produce from Flower Acres Baptist Church. They get produce every two weeks to give out to the public. No income verification is needed. Harvest Texarkana provides the produce from farmers who have an abundance and if it is not given away, it rots. So, we are blessed.

When I get there, I have to get in line, in my car as each car goes through the line. Each car should have it's trunk open as it goes through the produce line, slowly, so the volunteers can pack it with what is portioned out to them. When the last volunteer places his produce in the trunk, he shuts the trunk and tells you to have a blessed day, and you drive off.

I never know what I get until I get home, but it is always worth it.

This time, I got 2 grocery bags full of pears, 2 grocery bags of oranges, a bag of potatoes, two grocery bags full of seranno peppers, two bags of carrots, a pint of milk, a plastic serving of butternut squash noodles, and two bundles of bananas and two gigantic cabbage heads.

I gave half to my mom and sister.

The other half, I am using to can orange marmalade, pear preserves, saurkraut, carrots (every way I can do it) and we ate the bananas.

I have cabbage in bags in my freezer, and carrots, too. I am also going to make some pepper jelly. I'm cutting the rest of the peppers up to put in quart bags and store in my freezer for cooking with later.

Last night, I did a big boo boo. I cut some peppers and bagged them and wiped the seeds off the cutting board and forgot about it. Then, I cut up a pear to munch on.

Don't ever do that. Wash the board. Trust me. I couldn't taste the pear, my mouth was burning so bad! It was an hour before it finally died down completely. LOL

Today I made the saurkraut.

Tomorrow I have to make a trip to a memorial for my Uncle Bobby who died in 1994. He was the only man in the history of my little town of New Boston, Texas who got elected to office after he died. The city is going to put a memorial for him in the city museum.

Then, I'm going to come home and make some pear preserves and cut up some carrots for storage.

Well, it's late. I've updated my website and played around with PTCs and Traffic Exchanges while watching TV long enough.

Have a blessed day! (Mine is!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!