Monday, January 7, 2019

One Day at a Time


Matthew 6:34
“Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”

Everyone, just about, loves to bring in the New Year with a resolution or two. You know, some goal that they can't seem to accomplish the previous year that a New Year gives them the motivation to accomplish. So, I made my own New Year's resolution:

I decided that this year, in 2019, I was going to live one day at a time and praise God that I can.

That seems simple, doesn't it? But, in reality, it has turned out to be a lot harder than I expected it to be.

Oh, it started out okay. I work 12-hour shifts at a prison. When I come home, all I want to do is sleep. But, by the time my "Friday" got here, on the 4th of January, I was planning on what I was going to do on my days off. I even made a list of things to do. Bad idea.

So, on my first day off, I tried really hard to focus on accomplishing everything on that list. Impossible.

The next day, I tried to finish my list. Still not able to get it done. But, I did get some of it done. My list had dwindled to half of what I aimed for.

I realized that there is no way I can do all I want to do when I want to do it.

Rick Warren once said on his "Daily Hope" program that I love to listen to, "If you are not able to do everything on your to-do list in one day, then there is something on that list that is not in the will of God." In other words, God does not call you to do what you cannot accomplish with Him.

I have to re-evaluate what living "One Day at a Time" really means now.

Stay tuned for what I learn!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!