Friday, August 28, 2020

Home School Champion

If I was still home schooling, I would have made it mandatory for my children to watch every minute of the Republican National Convention of 2020 AFTER watching the DNC 2020. Then, we would have discussed what we had heard and what their opinions were and why. We would discuss their concerns. I would see through their eyes, then I would give them mine as a result.

I recall when I stood before the Austin Commissioner's Court after Commissioner Karen Sunlightner remarked on television when my children were watching one day that "Homeschoolers are nothing more than trailer trash that don't even own property."

We lived in a beautiful 3 bedroom home with a big back yard that we were buying at the time. My husband worked for one of the biggest law firms in the country.

5 minutes later, I was standing before her demanding that she apologize to my children who were watching her -- while they were still at home, watching their mother defend them AND their education!

I told her that day, "Miss Sunlightner, I am raising my children to be LEADERS, not FOLLOWERS. THAT is why I home school!"

My 5 year old son met me at the door when I drove back into our driveway after. The look in his eyes as he ran and hugged me, I will NEVER EVER FORGET!

"THAT'S MY MOMMA!" they seemed to say!

If I had any question in my mind as to whether or not I did the right thing that day in front of my children, it was answered right then and there.

Below is a rendition of what homeschooling is like for COVID 19 parents. The difference between doing it because you want to and because you have to is right there. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I wouldn't trade the quality time with my kids for the world.

I was a REAL Home School Champion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!