Thursday, July 13, 2017

If you serve Jesus, Make Him look good.

I realize beggers can't be choosers, but if you are going to serve Jesus, please make Him look good.

I took Sean and Rose to Flower Acres today to show them how to get produce that Flower Acres gives away every other Thursday. Sean and Rose do not have jobs. They live on a fixed income. Both are seeing doctors for medical conditions. They waited two months for someone to help them get something they could sleep on because they couldn't afford a bed. So, no, they can't afford groceries. They need help and I helped them.

BTW: Sean is fixing to have surgery on his hips, back and neck. He certainly didn't need to sleep on the floor any more.

And, I got blessed too, because even though I have a job, I am barely making my bills each month. I certainly can't afford a bill of groceries every two weeks like I used to. I spend about $5/day on dinner. It's all I can afford. I save my change for days off, so I can get something to eat. MY FREEZER IS EMPTY -- except for the zuchini Sean and Rose gave me the other day, and some ice.

So yes, I went for myself, too. If you think that just because I have a job I can eat, it doesn't work like that when you have bills, and are making sure routine stuff is taken care of, and paying a god awful amount to the IRS for taxes and student loans.

Oh, and I don't have insurance.

So yes, I took Sean and Rose and we went through the line. We BOTH filled out the paper. I told them I had a 2 families in my car.

They were generous with everything. We got 5 cabbages, 2 boxes of tomatoes, 4 bags of onions....

and ONE watermelon.

I told the lady at the end who was giving out the watermelon we needed one more because there was two families in the car, and she got REAL rude and snippy with me.

"You got enough. I can't do that. Sorry."

It wasn't a matter of them not having enough. The line was almost through. There weren't that many cars behind me. There were TWO GIGANTIC BOX CRATES of watermelon left. They could have spared one more.

It's okay, Sean and I halfed it.

I'm sure there was enough watermelon left that that lady got to take one home with her -- as well she should. She stood out there in the hot sun all day loading cars without pay; and, she was probably in the same situation at home I am. I totally understand that there are a lot of needy people who are ungrateful and downright angry about it, and very rude when they come through the line. Maybe she had had a bad day and was taking it out on us -- however, it didn't excuse her rudeness.

It's just that this was Sean and Rose's first trip there, and they are not ungrateful at all, but they have had a very hard time finding help when they need it, and when they do, they've had several bad experiences from people who claim to be doing it in Jesus' name. I hated for them to see that.

And, that lady sure didn't make Jesus look good today. Thank God I already know Him.

I am only one, but I am one. I can’t do everything, but I can do something. And that I can do, I ought to do. And what I ought to do, by the grace of God, I shall do. ~ Edward Everett Hale ~

Colossians 3:
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!