Sunday, March 13, 2022

Miracles and Christianity

Someone said that "Christianity without miracles is just another religion".

That depends on the definition of "miracle". I think getting up in the morning is a miracle for me. God woke me up. That's a miracle. God gave me all I have. That's a miracle. And, the fact that I am forgiven and cleansed of all unrighteousness by the blood of someone who went to the cross 2000 years ago -- THAT is a REAL MIRACLE!

Some people get disillusioned with Christianity when the "miracle" they pray for doesn't happen. What they don't understand is that God gives us miracles every day, all around us. And, God only gives us the miracles we need in our lives, not the ones we wish we could have.

I'm not saying God can't or won't perform miracles that confound the imagination: After all, He did part the Red Sea; He broke down the Jericho walls; He walked on water; And, He turned water into wine - among a great many others.

What I am saying, rather, is that God knows what we need when we need it, and if He does perform a miracle, the whole purpose of it is to glorify Himself, not to amuse us, make our life easier, or to give us our selfish desires; and, until we are thankful for the every day miracles we see around us, and learn to give God praise for those alone, the kind of miracles that we are looking for will always disillude us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!