Sunday, March 27, 2016

I'm gonna raise him up...

Today is Easter Sunday. On Easter, I reflect back on the life of Jesus, who He was, and how He became that way. But, not enough is said about Joseph, the man who raised him.

Joseph was a daddy to Jesus that he didn't have to be. He had faith in God in spite of all those around him who would have walked away and left Mary to an uncertain and terrible fate, not to mention what would have happened to the baby she was carrying. Joseph chose to take on a responsibility that would prove to be a gift to the world.

As a young child, I had one such man who came into my life. I saw this man work until his back ached to make sure we had a roof over our heads. I watched him go out and search the woods at times so we could have meat on the table when we couldn't afford it. I saw this man, over and over, choose the right roads rather than the easy ones in order to teach us integrity, honesty, and how to mind our conscience. And, once, when I asked him if we were rich, he told me, "We are rich -- in love."

I knew my real dad, but my step-dad was there when he didn't have to be.

I wasn't a son, but it didn't matter. I don't know if I'll ever change the world. I do, however, try to change the world around me -- because of him. And, because of him, I can relate to Jesus. More importantly, I know HE can relate to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!