Saturday, October 22, 2016

This I believe...



I was scrolling across my memories today and found this from 2012. It triggered a memory from way before that when I was in my late teens, early 20s. I was dating a guy who was called to be a Pentecostal preacher. But, he had turned atheist. Even back then, I carried my Bible everywhere I went. I read it every day.

He saw me reading it one day and he asked me, "You really believe that, don't you?"

I saId, "yes. I do. Do you?"

He said, "I used to." Then he told me his history. He said, "It just started sounding like a fairy tale. I mean, a flood that covers the whole world? Really?"

I didn't have enough knowledge then to defend my faith, except to explain to him that that is what faith is about, believing in things that can't be explained.

I asked him if he had a problem with me believing it.

He said, "Not at all. I mean, it's like this: If you believe and you die, then nothing will happen if it's not true. But, if I don't believe, and it IS true, and I die, then I'm DEAD wrong."

We broke up not too long after that. Not because of that. It wasn't right anyway. But, it did produce a productive memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!