Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Chicken and Avon

Today I woke up, bathed, then took my house-mate, Gary, to Wal-Mart so he could cash in his SSI, pay me his rent for the month, and buy a few groceries.

While he was inside the store, I was outside waiting, walking the parking lot with books and asking ladies if they needed an Avon Lady. I gave out 5 books by the time he came out of the store, but no phone numbers.

Every month, at the first of the month when Gary gets his check, it's tradition that we have fried chicken from the store. This month, today, he decided to splurge and go to Church's Chicken rather than buy Wal-mart chicken.

He even bought treats for the baby-dogs. (No wonder they love him so much...LOL)

He paid me my rent; then we came home and unloaded the groceries and ate. I got so full!

Lack of money has caused my stomach to shrink. I am not complaining. So, it didn't take as much to fill me up.

After we ate, I grabbed my small ice chest and went to the car. It was time to make the last two deliveries from last campaign.

I went to one customer, collected the money and gave her new books, then went to the last customer, but she was not at home. I figured she was still babysitting at where I saw her the other day when I was canvassing, but I couldn't remember what house she was at. So, I went to Texarkana, after stopping at the trailer park office to pay my lot rent and give the landlord a book.

Gary gave me some money to pick up a few more items while I was out for the house. So, I went to my bank at the Wal-mart in Texarkana to deposit what I had left of my money.

On the way into the store, I asked everyone I came into contact with if they needed an Avon lady.

One of the ladies I asked said, "I LOVE Avon! BUT, now I'm a truck driver so I haven't been able to order any." I smiled and showed her my website address on the back of the sales flyer I gave her.

"Do you have access to a computer?" I asked her. She said, "Yes, I do!"

I explained how she could go to the website and order online. She didn't need to be home to do that.

"Will it get delivered to my address?"

"Yes, ma'am! right to your doorstep!"

"And, you still get credit?"

"Yes, ma'am! As long as you use THAT link!"

She was happy.

Another lady saw me talking with her, and was waiting patiently, smiling. "Can I have a book, too?" She said.

"Sure! Would you like me to call you?" I took down her name and number. A lady at the door was watching. As I walked to the door, I smiled at her and said, "Do YOU need an Avon Lady, too?"

"Yes. Yes, I certainly do!" she said, reaching out for the book. I took her name and number, too, then headed in to the bank.

After I left there, I went to a neighborhood nearby, where I had a few customers who hadn't ordered in a while who I figured needed new books. I delivered those, then headed back to New Boston, where I did the same thing.

Finally, I went back by my last delivery's home. I caught her just as she was fixing to leave. She asked me to follow her to her work address where she babysits, where I saw her the other day. I did. She got the money and paid me. She even insisted on tipping me for my trouble. She informed me she would be staying there for awhile. I told her I would make a note in my ledger for both addresses.

Then, I came home to log my new phone numbers in my computer, and relax the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!