Monday, December 30, 2019

A Surprise Date

Good morning, World!

This morning, when I got off work I came home, only to find a friend waiting for me in my driveway.

"Let's go get coffee," He said.

I was tired. I really didn't want to go. But, I shrugged and said, "Sure. Why not?"

He said, "Go put your purse up. This is a test in trust." My phone was in my purse. I looked at him for a moment to assess the situation. I knew the guy. I respected the guy. And, he had never done anything to make me question his character before. But, I am NOT a trusting person.

I thought about it for a moment...and clutched my purse. He smiled a defiant smile and said, "Seriously. Go put your purse up."

So I did.

Mostly because I am curious. Curiosity always takes the lead on any other emotions I have.

So, we went to McDonald's and sat at a table and I just looked at him at this point...feeling REAL uneasy.

My purse was at home. So was my phone. And, this guy had never done something like this before with me. And, now I'm sitting there looking at him when I'd rather be at home resting. What was the deal? I asked him.

He burst out laughing. He said, "I KNOW you! You would NOT be at home resting if I had not come by. You would be at home SULKING."

I asked him what made him think that.

He explained to me that recently, I had had a big change in my online demeanor. I had totally turned into someone else. He said, "You recently lost your job. You had a bad Thanksgiving. You are broke. And, you have said it more than once that you needed a night out. I have seen this before. I know the signs."

I asked him what else he thought he knew. LOL

He just looked at me and raised his eyebrows. Then, he laid into me a lecture that lasted at LEAST 20 minutes. All I could do was listen and smile. Finally, when his coffee (and my tea) were done, he said it was time to go.

I'm like, "Really?"

He said, "Yeah. I did what I came here to do."

Okay.

He brought me back home and opened my car door to let me out. As he walked back to the driver's side he stopped, and turned around and said, "I have some advice for you. I don't know if you will hear it. I don't know if you heard anything I said earlier...but I'm going to give it to you. Do whatever you want with it, but I think it will help you."

I raise my eyebrows. "I'm listening..."

"I doubt that, really, but here it is: Stop sulking. You have LOST yourself. Go clean out whatever closet you have to and find yourself again. Until you DO, things are not going to get better."

Hmmm.

I hadn't realized it. But, maybe he was right. I've trusted him this far. Come to think of it, maybe that is why he had me leave my purse at home.

I came home feeling more stressed than when I left...but at the same time, it felt good that someone took the time out of their busy morning to just come by and say, "Get your head out of your rear-end".

I think I'm going to take his advice.

I thank God for Angels in disguise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!