Sunday, September 25, 2022

Mean People

Leviticus Chapter 19

15 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.
17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Today, I was scrolling through Facebook and found a post that made me laugh. It was a post that made a point about some other person's actions. The comments made fun of this person and talked down about them and this something they did. The comments were all adding fuel to the fire as they continued to degrade this person. I started to add my own comment in jest...but I stopped myself.

I asked myself, "Is this something God would approve of? The old me would have shrugged that "small still voice" to the back of my mind and typed it anyway. But, I didn't.

This morning I listened to the King James Bible online on Youtube. I am currently in Leviticus. I listen a little every morning as I get ready for my day, because Joshua 1:8 says I should.

Aside from being a good person and having success, listening and studying the Bible teaches you the laws of God so you can write them on your heart and learn to act accordingly. It etches it's laws into your conscience - so that still small voice can stop you before you type something hurtful or degrading about someone else, no matter how bad of a person that person is in your eyes. It's not your eyes that you should see that person in. It is God's.

Today, it stopped me from doing what I never thought twice about, until today. And, I listened and acted accordingly to that still small voice.

I am not the same person I was. I never saw myself as being a mean person, and I would have rationalized it as "this person will never see this, so why not go ahead and say it...", but what if he did?

God said to my heart, "Wrong is wrong. I told you what and what not to do."

Lord, please forgive me for even thinking about it. And thank You for stopping me and making me into a better person every day. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!