Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 2: Smoke Free!

Sigh. I have not had a cigarette since I went to sleep at 6:AM Monday morning. It is now after midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning, and I am home to enjoy my day off tomorrow.

It was hard for me at work tonight. I knew it would be so easy to go to the smoking area on break and bum a cigarette. But, I didn't.

I ate a lot of wintergreen Icebreakers, LOL. I even ate in the cafeteria at work today. When a security guard asked me how I was doing, I said, "I quit smoking this morning and I want a cigarette." LOL

The next time he saw me he said, "How's it going?" To which I replied, "You knew better than to ask how I was doing didn't you?"

As I was walking out the door to go to my car, I had to pass by the patient smoking area. I took a deep breath and said loudly, "It's SOOO tempting! I will not give in. I will not give in. ONE YEAR. I'm committed. I will not give in for one year. Then, if I find that not smoking has not bettered my life, I will go back." I am sure that by then, I will find a lot of ways to say my life is better for not smoking. I hope.

At home, at least I can keep my fingers busy on the keyboard, and my mouth busy with a sucker or a home made sloppy joe sandwich.

I went to bed at 4:00 and slept until 10:00 AM. I woke up feeling alert, but a little nauseated. And, my mouth tastes like ash tray.

I am now 28 hours smoke free. According to Healthline.com, my risk for having a heart attack or coronary heart disease has significantly declined. However, I don't feel much different.

I am still craving, but the Wintergreen flavored Icebreakers seem to take care of that quicker.

Satan is on one shoulder telling me that I shouldn't punish myself. Jesus is on the other shoulder telling me that I am not being punished. In the long run, I'll be blessed. He has the big picture. Satan just wants us to look at the smaller, more immediate picture.

I have not had so much as a puff of a cigarette in over 28 hours. At home, I have been tempted to grab a butt of a cigarette. I have refused it, however, and am determined to see this through.

I suddenly felt like laying back down. It's just as well. I figured I'd just sleep through the cravings. When I woke up at noon, I was hearing Pastor Paul Sheppard on Christian Talk Radio saying that Satan wants everything God doesn't in his Dressed for Spiritual Warfare broadcast All I could do was say, "Thank you, Jesus. I needed this."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!