Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Independence Day, the day after

Independence Day has gone. Normally, on Independence Day, I would have posted many nostalgic writings of how proud I am of my country, or how disappointed I am in where my country is headed, or even historical references as to why it is important to celebrate the 4th of July.

This year, I rarely posted anything at all. I spent the day, rather, trying to help a friend learn to appreciate her independence. I think I failed. I hate failure.

Then, as I was readying myself to celebrate what was left of the day by clocking in for work, a blast from the past wishes me a happy 4th and puts things into perspective for me.

He was right. Never second guess your choices in life. It will drive you crazy. That's practically what my friend was going through, and not where I wanted to be. And, my blessings are far greater than any regrets for what didn't happen...or did.

So, as I move forward, realizing that independence isn't something I should celebrate just once a day in the year, I find myself thankful for the life I am living today, and tomorrow.

I am free. If I were bound by the wrists and ankles in a prison somewhere, I would still be free. How much more blessed can I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!