Sunday, June 9, 2019

Otis's "Precious"

My two chihuahas are father and son. Milo is two years older than Otis. Otis and Milo are nothing alike.

Milo is laid back and loves everyone. Otis, who is also very loving, is also very territorial and jealous. Though they love to play with each other, they also value their "alone time" away from each other.

In order to train them not to go potty in the house, I give them a treat every time they go outside. If one needs to go outside, I make the other go, too; that is, until Milo rebelled one day.

He wanted to go outside, so I said, "C'mon, Otis. Time to go outside." Otis was excited (and loud, barking at my housemate, Fred, in his high-pitched bark, telling Fred that "Momma is letting me go outside!") Milo immediately back-tracked to the couch, jumped up there and sat down. He refused to move.

Milo had gone through all the trouble of getting my attention, and now he had to share with Otis, again. NOT happening. If Otis was going out, he wasn't.

Well, after that, Otis decided that if Milo was going, at times, he wasn't going. As a matter of fact Otis got so used to not going that I finally told him, "If you don't go outside, you don't get a treat."

Twice, today, Milo has gone outside. When he came back in, both dogs came to the treat bowl. I gave Milo his, then told Otis, "No. You don't get one. You didn't go outside."

Finally, Otis decided he wanted to go out, too. Both dogs went out. When they returned, I gave Milo his, then praised Otis as I gave him his.

It has been three hours since they last went outside. Otis has taken his treat and laid it in front of him and growled at anyone (including Milo and Ginger, the cat) who comes near it. I keep telling him he wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting it if he'd eat it. His treat is precious to him right now. He had to work to get it.

He hasn't figured out how to have his cake and eat it too.

I suspect I'll have to take it from him in the morning to force him to go back outside so he can get another treat when he comes in and realize it ain't that precious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!